Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Give me my daily bread

As a kid, I used to think Jesus' prayer for daily bread in Matthew 6:11 literally referred to three square meals a day. And it does. But I've come to realize that it goes beyond that.

I've been learning a lot about what my daily bread looks like. It crosses lines of activities in my life—training for the 1/2 marathon in 2009, waiting for what God has in store, dieting, relationships, etc.

And I've been trying to make a habit of getting up every morning and letting the first words out of my mouth be, "Give me what I need from You for today. I'm not going to dwell on yesterday or worry about tomorrow. I'm only focused on living for You today and understanding your grace is sufficient for right now."

I think we get so caught up in the "what's to come" that we waste time not living fully right now. It's reassuring to know that he is enough for each day. He gives me what I need to live for him in this moment. I can trust that he is truly in control and my past, present, and future is in his hands.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow! I love your morning prayer. I love YOU sweet girl! I miss you and hope you are feeling God's blessings in a real way today.

Unknown said...

So true, and well said!