Wednesday, November 2, 2005

obedience

When I was little and crossed the major road that carried lots of traffic close to our house without asking permission, what happened? I was spanked.

When I told a lie, what happened? I was punished.

When I acted out of rebellion and defied my parents authority, what happened? I was grounded or seriously disciplined.

There's never been a time in my life when I've NOT struggled with the issue of obedience. I truly believe that when I came out of the womb I yearned to be independent and make my own decisions from that point forward. Bless the hearts of my parents who tried their best to raise a free spirit to be a self-controlled, poised, and godly young lady. They did a great job, but my heart has always been a little rebellious.

Isn't everyone's though?

I'm realizing that when I've questioned God's call for me to do something specific in the past, my hesitation has come from me putting other things in competition with His reign and rule over my mind, body, and spirit. I often get so worked up about the minor things in life (trying to work them out on my own), that I refuse to see God's big picture. The answer has always been simple...simply obey Him in EVERYTHING I do...even the trivial things.

If I obey Him in everything...both the seemingly major and minor things in life...I will prove to be a witness to others of my obedience and faithfulness to the Lord, and more than that...He will be pleased with me. When I can't pay a bill, when I'm having a bad hair day, when I'm feeling overwhelmed, when I've gained a few pounds, when someone has hurt me, or so on...I need to come face-to-face with Him.

My relationship with God could certainly be compared to the discipline my parents gave me when I disobeyed as a child. I can look back over my life and see that when I was walking hand in hand with Him and I tried to veer off the path, He gently guided me back to the straight and narrow.

But when my rebellious, sinful nature kicked in and I took off running full force from Him, He had to grab me by the arm, scold me, and execute serious discipline as a result of my straying. (Maybe I should have been harnessed to Him like some kids are to their parents.) But then I can see that after I was punished He forgave my disobedience, comforted me with love, scooped me up in His arms, let me cry out my shame and regret on His shoulder, and carried me for a while.

As an adult now, I am grateful for God's discipline because, as I mature in Him, my obedience grows and His blessings increase.

No comments: