Wednesday, January 18, 2006

You Selfish Thing

We are such selfish beings.

How often do we pray, "Lord, help me with this or that," or "Lord, quench my thirst and satisfy me, me, me!?" It's always about me...me...me in my relationship with the Lord. Is it that way with your relationship with Him?

I forget that my ultimate goal should be to please Him...in serving Him certainly, but not foremost, because then I would be putting my service to Jesus before Jesus Himself. (If that makes any sense whatsoever.)

Instead, I need to live in total devotion to Jesus alone...through not by my actions, attitudes, words, thoughts, life, so on. My relationship with Him is not to be a one-way street.

I guess it's a subconscious thing for me. I don't even realize how much I talk to the Lord about my needs and wants every day. Like they are really so much more important that the praise and devotion from me that He deserves.

Check this out:
Jesus said to the woman at the well, "Give Me a drink" (John 4:7).
Jesus speaking to the disciples: "You shall be witnesses to Me..." (Acts 1:8).

Do you see? It's all about HIM! My dilemma is all a part of my selfish, sinful human nature. I need to work on how much more can I honor, bless, and satisfy Jesus in my life, instead of the other way around.

Forgive my ramblings. I'm working these things out in my heart and head. Just thought I would share the tangled web of thoughts in my brain.

No comments: